Saturday, February 4, 2012

Norwegian Wood

I've seen now enough movies at the IFC Center that I'm showing up for ones I only sort of want to see.

That's how I felt about Norwegian Wood before I caught the 2 PM today.



Two and a half hours later it was clear why I was lukewarm about going in the first place.  Halfway through the movie, I was only beginning to warm up to/care about the characters.  You could definitely tell these were people who were richer, with clearer motivations and more meaningful interactions.   Flat. Beautifully shot, with some truly gorgeous locations, and fine performances, but flat.

I should have read the book. I should have read the book. I should have read the book.  How many times have I told myself that? Well, it's very true in this case, that's for sure.   I guess it usually is. 

At any rate, in less than a week the Academy-nominated shorts will open and I'll return to having a wide slate of films there from which to choose.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the trailer for this and having loved the book I was excited to see what the film would be like. Sounds like a bummer.

    ReplyDelete