Monday, June 18, 2012

In which I gush about the Museum of the Moving Image. GAHHH!!!

When I started writing this dorky blog, one of the first things I did was write a list of movie goals for 2012. At the top of that list was to visit the Museum of the Moving Image, which comes highly recommended by several movie-loving pals that I respect.

You could place the actual fountain of youth in Queens, though, and it'd probably take me a few months to make it out there. So, even as the fanatic consumer of movies that I've become of late, I still made only my first visit this past weekend.They're doing a Paramount in the 1970's series, so my friend Irene and I chose Marathon Man, a film I don't think I'd even heard of let alone seen. I didn't care much about what I saw there anyway - I just wanted to finally get there. What a gorgeous, gorgeous place. I had no idea Queens was this cool. Loved it. Even more than I was expecting to love it.

Sleek, clean, sexy, airy, open - are these the words that come to mind when you think of a movie theater? Think again. Granted, this place is, by definition, a museum. And I did not arrive early enough to explore this side of it.

Don't worry though, because in typical fashion I have joined up. It was actually crazy cheap. $100 per year and that includes unlimited access to their weekend programming. Queens folks - let's be movie buddies! I am going to live there! Especially while the IFC center is still showing Pina, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and others I've seen before.

Oh, and Marathon Man was pretty great, too.

1 comment:

  1. I went for the first time a few months ago for a screening of the 1970 H.G. Lewis classic THE WIZARD OF GORE. And I was quite taken aback by the whole place---especially seeing Diane Keaton's wardrobe from ANNIE HALL!

    ReplyDelete